Re: [Amps] AL1200 on AM - max carrier?

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL1200 on AM - max carrier?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:19:04 -0400

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 19:00:14 +0000 (UTC), Glen wrote:

The problem is that "desired communications" is not defined!

REPLY:

That is intentional.  Government entities like to have a law or rule
on the books that they can use only when they need or want to nail
somebody.  99.99% of the time it is intentionally never enforced but
when the time comes, it's there to be used at their discretion.

Other examples are the laws against vagrancy and disturbing the peace.
All governments do it.

73, Bill W6WRT

## I will define it for you. Desired communications = 50 db over S-9. lol. If we all used just enough power to be over the noise level, we would all be running way less than 100w most of the time. The FCC has similar rules re ssb TX bandwidth..it has this quality wording in the clause. Any tx bw can be used on ssb,
except here in canda..where we are limited to a measly 6 khz.

BTW, we are allowed 750w cxr on AM modes, with no limit on pep, so 5-6 x cxr is just fine, IE: 100-150% positive modulation..using neg clipping.. And this is measured at the ant feedpoint. So nothing changed here on AM from 40 years ago. You folks got screwed on the AM power
rules with the 1.5 kw pep limit.

Its all a moot point anyway. Im sure anyone with a thunderbolt etc, is still running it at 650-750w of cxr.

later.......... Jim   VE7RF

Certainly not with a T-Bolt Jim as it would be way past the melt down point as an AM linear. OTOH the Johnson Desk KW, Collins KW-1, any 1000W converted BC rig etc will easily run a 700-1000W carrier since that is what they were designed for and the BC gear started using negative peak clipping many decades ago.

Carl
KM1H