Re: [Amps] Linearization problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Linearization problem
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 18:12:39 +0000
Hi Marv,

    Directional coupler.

I don't see how that could work.

Indeed, if there was such a thing as a near-perfect directional coupler, in which the signal apearing on the side port depends _only_ on the signal at the input port, and also the coupler completely prevents the ouput load changes from affecting the input signal, then it would work fine. But I have never seen such a coupler! In all real-world directional couplers I know, the signal appearing on the side port varies when the load on the output port changes. So, in my application, the distortion caused by the amplifier on the drive signal would also appear at the coupler's side port.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what exact type of coupler you mean, or how you would apply it. Can you give some example?

Manfred