Re: [Amps] L4B biasing

To: "mikflathead@aol.com" <mikflathead@aol.com>, Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] L4B biasing
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 14:30:58 -0700
Mike, it's hard to answer your question without knowing a few more
details. Do you operate much CW, or mostly SSB?  Also, have you
thought about modifying the RF deck to use electronic T/R switching,
rather than the stock clunky relays? Do you want to operate QSK?

If you basically just operate SSB and don't mind dissipating 500+
Watts of heat with the 200mA of idle current, then no bias is needed.
It's so easy to add a few volts of bias and have everything run
cooler, however, that's what I'd be inclined to do. One of the great
things about the L4B is that everything is accessible and easy to work
on.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone