[Amps] Input VSWR of common grid amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Input VSWR of common grid amplifier
From: jtml@losalamos.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 14:12:22 -0700
In 2009-2012 I designed some very large tetrode amplifiers that used grounded grid configuration. Not tied directly to ground, but grounded for RF via cavity circuits that have built in blocking capacitors to allow normal bias voltages. Like their amateur siblings ("tubes with handles" as R. Measures used to say), the input match is highly dependent on the electron beam, specifically the level of DC cathode current. I have a cascade of amplifiers, one 150 kW tetrode driving the final stage of several MW. Being pulsed, the grid bias is switched from cutoff to conduction just before RF drive is pulsed on, to avoid 100 kW of pulsed plate dissipation in the final (about 12 kW average power). It took a while before my design team figured out best way to protect things, as if the final power supply tripped offline, the IPA would be driving into a horrible mismatch. So lots of fast electronics are involved, fast logic, that shuts off the RF drive and so forth. Also, timing of the conduction bias pulses had to be right, so that the RF drive didn't come up too many microseconds before the beam was there. Tying to sweep the input match of these amplifiers while they are pulsing is not easy. I tested them with a Hp8753 VNA, at 10 mW power, and sweep across the bandpass of the amplifier cavity. As Bias is cranked up, and a few amperes of quiescent (but pulsed) plate current flows, the input return loss goes from < 1 dB to 10 dB or more and a definite dip occurs. It is a chopped waveform due to pulsing, as I don't have the ability to run these things in CW key down. I bring this up as it parallels what we hams have to deal with using GG amplifiers. Not having cavity circuits for HF, we use L and C and try and get some Q, without narrowbanding the thing - broadbanding the input tuning at least a ham bands width.

We have to drive the thing with the normal level, and get the current up to know the match. Lots of compromises can be made, and those amplifiers that require a length of cable, have input matches that were fine for tube exciters but these days not so good for solid state drivers. Some of the problem is the cyclic fluctuation of the beam from cutoff to conduction across each cycle of RF voltage, as others have suggested.

For HF ham stuff I have the trick now. I can use a Delta Electronics OIB-2 operating impedance bridge. This thing can take 1 kW through power, and will read the input Z of an antenna, line or amplifier, while driven. It reads the R and X component to 5%, and from this some suitable matching can be developed to get it to 50 ohms. I now have two of them, so one will be made available FS.

73
John
K5PRO