Re: [Amps] {Collins} Understanding Screen Current in a Tetrode

To: "'Peter Voelpel'" <dj7ww@t-online.de>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] {Collins} Understanding Screen Current in a Tetrode
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 22:02:12 -0600
A little clarification is in order here:

You tune the PLATE tune control for a peak in screen current the same way as
you would dip the plate current. The screen current is much more sensitive
than the plate current.

You adjust the loading control (less capacitance) to load the amplifier
heavier. The screen current will decrease as you load the amplifier heavier.
Again adjust the plate tune control for a peak in screen current.

Keep increasing loading (decreasing load capacitance) for maximum power out.
Keep doing this until desired power output is reached and maximum screen
current is not exceeded. Keep increasing grid drive while tuning with out
exceeding maximum grid current or maximum screen current.

Too much drive when the amp is not loaded heavily enough will cause the
screen current to go very high.

With a tube like a 4CX1000A it is rated at zero grid current but slight grid
current of around 1 Ma is allowed while tuning.

When you are done tuning the screen current may be negative with tubes like
the 4CX1000A. you always peak the screen current in the positive direction
with the plate tune capacitor even if the screen current is negative.

73
Gary  K4FMX