Re: [Amps] {Collins} Understanding Screen Current in a Tetrode

To: <jtml@vla.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] {Collins} Understanding Screen Current in a Tetrode
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 11:00:12 -0500
There certainly is nothing new about the proper tuning procedure for a tetrode.
The following was taken from the 1963 National NCL-2000 manual who also had
plenty
of prior experience building military tetrode amps from 1-10KW. National
certainly was
 not alone with tetrode amps as the 572B and 3-400Z had just been introduced in
1963
as the new wave of GG amps, and other choices such as the 811A , 813, 4-400A,
PL-172,
 4-1000A, etc, had their own problems in AB1/AB2 and GG......depending on tube
type.

" Note carefully that the NCL-2000 screen current will be your most valuable
tuning and
procedure, as you
will see, will be to strike the perfect balance between plate current, drive,
and screen current
for maximum output. Excessive screen current (above 25 ma) indicates
insufficient loading,
and in addition, the screen current will act as an extremely accurate
indication of plate circuit
 tuning, by reading maximum at resonance. The NCL-2000 is so designed that
maximum
 efficient output may be accurately determined by proper adjustment of plate
and screen current.
In the following CW tune up procedure (note: for the then FCC legal 1KW DC
Input in the 1800V switch position), the
objective is to achieve a plate current at resonance of 550 to 650 ma with
10-25 ma of screen current.
Remember screen current will increase with light loading and will decrease as
the NCL-2000 is
loaded more heavily. Screen current will be maximum at resonance"

Even with such a concise procedure customers couldn't stop blowing 8122's since
they didn't read
and absorb what they were reading or maybe had too many adult beverages. Some
things never change.

As Service Tech and later Service Manager I had to type up a shorter procedure
using BLOCK letters
at times plus explain what light and heavy loading in relation to the Load cap
actually meant.
Light Loading means MORE Load capacity and Heavy Loading means LESS Load
capacity. The fact
that the 0-10 markings on the front panel or knob skirt are often the reverse
of the Tune cap position
further confuses those who don't bother to check before even plugging the amp
into the AC outlet.

Carl
KM1H