Re: [Amps] Need Zener for 2KD-3

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need Zener for 2KD-3
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 16:57:12 +0000
Just FYI, this circuit is called an emitter follower.  Back in the early 70's,
this was the "regulated" power supply of choice when I worked in a lab - a 5 or
12 V Zener diode, depending on the application,  a 2N3055 transistor and a
suitable resistor.  As you should expect from a 3 component regulator, the
regulation sucked and the power dissipated by the transistor could be
significant if you were trying to drop too much voltage.

Once modular supplies became cost effective we used them instead.  Our job was
to design custom systems for a specific purpose, not design the power supplies
for them!

Al
AB2ZY