Re: [Amps] Astron Power Supply replies

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Astron Power Supply replies
From: KA4INM <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 08:18:00 -0500
  On 02/11/2015 12:07 AM, Gary Smith wrote:

I ordered a set of 10 Motorola MC1723CP which cross reference to the
stock LM723CN the Astron uses, on Ebay, for all of $5.25 shipped from
this seller:
http://tinyurl.com/ozwdjhr
This was indeed the resolution to my PS issue and it's running
perfectly now. No telling why the regulator went south but thanks for
the replies!

  I have an answer to the unasked question.

The 723 breed of device have been responsible for the most unusual malfunctions in my life. The event that brought "the problem" to my attention was an 8 inch floppy disk drive that turned up incompetent one morning 35 ish years ago. Whenever the 24 Volt "head loading" solenoid was activated the 24 Volt supply dropped from 24 Volts to 5.0 Volts and there was no logical reason for the two separate supplies to be intertwined. This stopped the "disk drive" motor. Only by pressing the digital Voltmeter (the Simpson 260 was king in those days) into service told me that the new 5.0 Volts and the regular 5 Volts power supply were actually different Voltages. Replacing the 723 IC immediately cured this bizarre action.

  Any strange actions from anything using the 723 or it's ilk (NE-550?)
should immediately place this IC under observation as they can go crazy in any of a hundred different ways with little notice.
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.