Re: [Amps] more - oil bath GS-35b

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] more - oil bath GS-35b
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:20:50 +1300

On 30/03/15 17:01, Gary Schafer wrote:
You do not need to slow the flow down in order to pick up heat. The faster
the flow the more heat will be transferred.

Correct! The faster the oil flow in the tube cooler, the better the cooling.

But not so for the radiator. The oil must slow down and be in the radiator for a finite time for the heat to be transferred from the oil to the air.

On another note, you will need as much air movement to cool the radiator as
you would need to cool the tube directly. With oil cooling you are only
moving the heat from the tube to the radiator. You still have the same
amount of heat to transfer to the air.

Sure.

Although with the radiator the surface area to cool will be much larger than
it is with air cooling the tube so the air velocity can be lower.

Exactly! Very much lower, and very very much quieter. I want to sit next to my quiet amp - not my vacuum cleaner.

Steve