Re: [Amps] Arctic Silver with and without silver

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Arctic Silver with and without silver
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 12:08:08 -0500
Manfred,

Thank you for this advice. I've been thinking about it ever since you sent
it. Today I got to see for myself the difference in thermal greases.

To make a long story short, replacing the original generic silver grease
(probably from Asia) between the CPU and its heat sink greatly lowered the
CPU core temps and eliminated all the problems I was having due to the CPU
overheating.

The thermal grease I used contains boron nitride flakes. It's *Arctic
Silver Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic Thermal Compound*. It's kind of an
off-white color. I even put in on thicker than I should have.

Before replacing that grease, it was not uncommon to see the CPU core
temperature over 190 degrees F. I now cannot get it over 120 F, even with
both cores at 99% for an extended period of time.

Thanks again!

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com