Re: [Amps] Oil v water cooling

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oil v water cooling
From: KA4INM <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:49:58 -0400
  On 04/16/2015 12:13 PM, David Lisney wrote:

Hi, I believe that not all "distilled water" is suitable for this, you may need to specify
"deionised water". The water conductivity needs regular checking, it will rise as it gets
contaminated by traces of solder flux etc...I seem to remember where in a published design for a
watercooled amplifier that about 6" from the tube anode that the plastic cooling pipe went through
a brass coupler that had a meter connected between it and chassis ground to monitor leakage current.
Regards David G0FVT

  As a retired* broadcast engineer with plenty of experience
maintaining vapor and water cooled transmitting tubes I highly
recommend ONLY "steam distilled" water over any deionized water.
Deionized water can contain dissolved minerals that the demonizing
process cannot remove, namely dissolved silicates which are plentiful
in Florida water.   (elsewhere I have no knowledge)
These minerals do get deposited in the cooling circuit and an acid rinse does not dissolve them. (they are white glass like coating)

  I will add that operating these high power tubes with water on their
collectors (through the Ammeter and overload relay coil) is made much
easier by grounding the collectors and supplying the high Voltage to
the cathode with the power supply terminal with the surplus of
electrons.  (the negative terminal)

* after 50 years and 5 months.
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.