Re: [Amps] Considering an ALS-1306

To: dave@nk7z.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Considering an ALS-1306
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 19:52:20 -0500
When you buy the K3 to KPA500 interface cable running the pair makes the K3 in
efferct a 500W transciever.

You can change bands on the rig from the amp.,If the KPA is in Operate mode it
will remember the drive neccesary for your chosen power out of thje amp per
band. When in standby the K3 switches to full power barefoot 100W
automaticallly per band.

The RF detector in the KPA is active all the time. If you feed it drive power
for 20m and the amp switch says 40M the amp will switch automatically to 20m. A
good safety feature so you don't roast the finalls.

Since you can set the power out on the K3 on a per band basis that feature is
also available for the 1306. It's just not autpmatic. The auto-switch to max
barefoot is kinda neat. The 1306 is protected from stupid Ham syndrome and will
fault if on the wrong band. It just won't switch to the correct one.

Without that K3 to KPA cable all those "gee whiz" features go away.

If it was me I'd go with the 1306 because 1000W all day in CW and SSB and 600W
all day on keydown modes is more than the KPA will do on it's best day. As long
as I've got BCD band data switching I'd be a happy camper.

How much is a factory built KPA compared to the 1306?

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H