Re: [Amps] ALS-1306

To: dave@nk7z.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] ALS-1306
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:08:51 -0500
I think you masde a good decision.

Don't get me wrong...I love my Elecraft "stuff" but think when it comes down to
it the KPA500 should have been the KPA1K. That's where the solid state
competition is now.

Some guys are still upset that they had both 800 and 1.5K protypes at Dayton
and didn't build either one.

Sooner or later the vacuum tubes will become so expensive or scarce that
manufacturers will switch from tubes to solid state. Ameritron uses the tried
and true MRF150. W6PQL has built one with an NXP LDMOS device. A pair of those
with appropriate level of negative feedback for stabilty, running at 750W each
would be a world beater. A pair of LDMOS devices cost less than a Chinese 8877.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H