Re: [Amps] Time for New Power Meter

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Time for New Power Meter
From: amsctalx@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 21:10:35 +0000 (UTC)
Measuring RF power/signal strength accurately is a non-trivial undertaking. I
strongly recommend the Keysight (nee Agilent nee Hewlett-Packard) tutorial:

http://rfmw.em.keysight.com/videos/PMPS_Introduction/index.htm

Or this older, more detailed treatment:

http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/York/Yorklab/Useful%20Stuff/Tutorials/RFPower_Meas%20AN64-1B.pdf

Both cover the complexity caused by different modulation types, bandwidths,
onset rise-time and numerous other factors. One fact that becomes clear is that
hobbyist meters are largely toys and, if you're going to use a 'toy', at least
get a good one. Larry Phipps N8LP of Telepost has designed the LP100A to be a
'baby Agilent' and periodically sends his reference gear out for calibration.

The best way to stay legal is to buy the best you can, with the best
traceability and adjust your power amplifier output to the lower uncertainly
limit of your meter. That's call you can do, and all you're required to do by
the regulations.

73,

Mike - N8MSA