Re: [Amps] SPE 2K-FA amplifier duty cycle

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SPE 2K-FA amplifier duty cycle
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 23:42:26 +0100
Please take the following with a "pinch of salt" (or whatever caution you prefer)...

I cannot speak for the SPE 2K-FA but I have used an SPE 1K-FA in WPX two years on the bounce.

At UK licensed power levels, ie. about 500W in the shack and 400W PEP at the antenna, it will go all day although with heavy CQ calling the fans run a lot! Testing at the 1KW output level in to a Bird dummy load with the same pretty compressed SSB signal and aggressive duty cycle (75% TX; 25% RX) we found that the amplifier folded back to the mid power setting where it was happier and indicated a heatsink temperature of 70C (which I think is too high).

Our conclusion was that this amplifier is beautifully made, has loads of features and is excellent in normal SSB use (eg. DX-ing, Rag-chew, etc) but is somewhat under-cooled for heavy-weight contesting - this perhaps also suggests that it is similar for high duty cycle modes such as RTTY?

My experience is with the smaller 1K-FA - the 2K-FA may be different and YMMV.

Mike G8TIC