Re: [Amps] 12V IM3

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 12V IM3
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 16:21:12 +0000
Hi guys,

it seems rather funny to me how you worry about rigs having only a -28dB specification for third IMD. Just come here to Chile, and listen in to the kind of signals that populate the 40 and 80 meter bands here - the only HF bands used by most Chilean hams. -28dB IMD would be super deluxe.

The first thing almost every ham does here, as soon as he gets a new radio, is taking off the cover and turning down the ALC trimpot, fully disabling the ALC. They call it "freeing up" a radio, in the sense of removing those evil bounds that keep the poor radio choked to the 100 watt level.

Second thing they do, is hooking up the radio to one of those super-cheap, brick-shape switching power supplies, rated at 12.0V. They make sure there is a fuse in the line. And since those power supplies make noise with their tiny, fast-running fans, they put it far away and make the 12V cable long. The result is that the radio gets maybe 10V supply voltage during modulation peaks. Forget the IMD - there are bigger problems, like huge frequency modulation and other severe distortions. As long as the other hams can somehow manage to interpret what's being transmitted, the signal quality is considered to be fine.

And the third thing they do, is deciding that they aren't getting out loud enough, and adding a preamplified microphone plus an external compressor, "to help the radio do the job". And now the rage is adding an entire studio-type audio console, with multiband equalizers, echo and chorus effects, and the like. Of course they still use the radio's internal voice processor too, even while adding the external stuff. And how to set it all up? Simple: All knobs to maximum, that's sure to produce the loudest signal, right?

The IMD spec of the bare-bones radio, fed by 13.8V, and used with the factory power/ALC setting, becomes rather irrelevant...

Fortunately few Chilean hams use amplifiers. But when they do, they hook them right to those super improved radios - without an ALC connection, of course. So far I have never found any Chilean ham using an ALC connection between rig and amp. Not even when using a 100W radio modified to 160W saturated output, to drive a tetrode amp requiring 30W of drive.

All my complaining, explaining, educating efforts so far have been fruitless. The ham scene here considers that the loudest signal is the best signal, no matter how much noise, distortion, splatter, etc, is associated with it. You can judge the level of technical knowledge of these hams by this: A typical report for a SSB signal would be: "Your carrier is coming in at seven-nine, but the audio is weak!" Go figure.

I find myself acting as a crazy clown, preaching the advantages of clean signals in this environment. So I couldn't let this opportunity pass, and blow some steam off, at least on this forum, where I can hope that most will understand my points!

Manfred
XQ6FOD