Re: [Amps] Strange behavior (at least to me)

To: "'Steve Bookout'" <steve@nr4m.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Strange behavior (at least to me)
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 09:50:37 -0500
Steve,
It sounds like a bad  connection  on the variable capacitor. It
could be external or inside the bottle.
Depending on the construction of the capacitor, you may or may not
be able to fix it. In some construction they use finger stock on the
variable shaft. I have had some success in positioning the shaft
facing up and spray a little Tri-flow lubricant on the shaft and
rotate it back and forth  until it goes In a little.

73, Jim - w5ifp@gvtc.com

collective 'gray
>> matter' working again.
>>
>> I am having a strange problem with a homebrew 8877 amp.  It has
>> worked almost flawlessly for 30 years with the same tube and
still
>> easily puts out legal power.  4000 volts at a load of about 550
ma.,
>> driving with about 22 watts.
>>
>> During the night shift in CQWW (I believe) the amp started acting
up
>> and was replace with a spare.  It is a 40 meter mono band amp.
>>
>> I was told that there was no output but 'the meters still were
>> 'jumping around''.  I opened it up expecting to find an obvious
issue
>> with the
>> vacuum relay on the output.  Power has to go SOMEWHERE, right?
>> All
>> looked as good as it ever did.
>>
>> Just before Dayton, myself and two budddies, fired up the amp,
>> after once again looking inside.
>>
>> This is what I am seeing:
>>
>> We tuned it up with 10 watts drive into a oil filled dummy load
and
>> got
>> 700-750 watts out with a few hundred mils of plate current and
>> about 10 mils of grid current.  Unkeyed it and then rekeyed it.
Upon