[Amps] Afterburner?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Afterburner?
From: Jim Miller <jim@jtmiller.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 09:51:05 -0400
I like my KPA500 but wish I had legal limit on 40, 80 and 160. Since the
KPA500 generates 500w it occurred to me that a linear (really linear)
amp with modest gain might do the trick.

I'd only need a gain of 3x or about 4-5db so the additional gain normally
available could be used for negative feedback to make the output much more
linear. Perhaps 10db might be available for that.

I'm thinking that there would be a band select on the front that would only
enable it when a band decoder indicated a match. Otherwise it would be
bypassed including when it is turned off or manually bypassed.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

73

Jim ab3cv (obviously a newb to amps...)