Re: [Amps] Time to ask for help.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Time to ask for help.
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:28:40 +0100
Hi Roger,

Is the design single-ended or push-pull?

Have you checked out your RF deck by removing each tube and replacing it with a carbon resistor of/at/near the resistive load (RL) for the tube operating conditions (get this from the data sheet) - a 4CX250B has an RL of around 4350 ohms at 2KV in AB1. If you substitute your tubes with appropriate resistors connected anode to ground then with no volts applied you should be able to "look in to" the output connector with a vector network analyzer (VNA) or antenna analyzer and tune up your output stage for a good match, ie. 20dB return loss or better.

Again, without knowing your design - you should be able to put the tubes back in and apply heater volts and a few watts of RF drive and minimize the coupling between grid and anode using a sensitive power meter connected to the output, i.e. adjust the neutralization for minimum power feed-thru. I found this technique remarkable on my W1SL 144MHz pair of 4CX250Bs...

Mike G8TIC