Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 Repair

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 Repair
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:30:05 -0400
Bill,

The two components mentioned are sourced up through the +40V supply.  So,
I'm not at all surprised an 8877 arc or K-to-grid short took out the supply.

Pricing of the SPE 2K-FA is a bit more than the 9500 and looks like a good
alternative.  My only reservation about commercially-available SS amps is
that cooling is still relatively inefficient -- and loud in high duty-cycle
modes.   Having a LAN-enabled remote head would be a nice way to deal with
the noise issue.

I own the SPE 1K-FA and if the 2K-FA's fault protection scheme is similar,
the PA and power supply are very well protected from a number of fault
conditions.

Paul, W9AC