Re: [Amps] Henry bleeder resistor source.

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry bleeder resistor source.
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:52:21 -0400
  On 10/10/2015 10:06 AM, Donald Fox wrote:

So far, I have come across this model sold by Mouser. I can get them for $11
each if I buy 10.
5 will replace the set in the 3K which are 26 years old, and other 5 will be
spares.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=L100J20KEvirtualkey58810000virtualkey588-L100J20KE

Comments pro and con please?

  Carbon resistors gradually carbonize the outer coating of Bakelite
(a phenol resin) from the heating of the power that is dissipated
constantly while the amp is making hV.  Eventually they will all:
be burnt in half, the carbon column will break or the carbonized
outer coating of Bakelite will short out the internal carbon column to
where the value will drop.  (this may the cause resistor to burnt in
half.

  Wire wound resistors operate mostly without change until something
mysterious forms a third and fourth end.  (creates an open)
  (many exist from the day they were invented until this moment)
  Shotgunning the whole lot would be a new experience. And a waste.
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.