Re: [Amps] TV-7 D/U calibration around New England?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TV-7 D/U calibration around New England?
From: Robert Arenella <rja12@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 11:37:39 -0500
My advise would be to box it up & send it to Dan Nelson,
djn@ieee.org He is a well known TV-7 guru. I sent my TV-7D/U to him several years ago and it's been working fine ever since. He does excellent work. No connection to him, just a happy customer!

73 de Bob,
N2OAM

On 12/3/2015 8:43 PM, Gary Smwith wrote:

Hi,

A bit OT - My stereo amp wouldn't start. Found it's frying fuses the
second power is applied. No sign of problems the last time I ran it.
No odor so probably not a cap but maybe a rectifier leg went bad.
It's one year old with a 3 year warranty so I don't want to open it
up. But maybe one of those nelllaid up last spring & never got to test
or use & gave it a dry run. All seemed OK but testing a KT88/6550,
instead of getting minimum values like 44, it pinned the meter. Tried
the other three KT88's and got the same results. Tried a 12AX7a and
the value was double what it should be but at least it only went up
half the meter instead of pinning it. Rechecked & all the settings
were correct.

So I tried three old 60's Mullard KT88 that I know are good and
instead of the 44 min, they ranged between 115 & the end of the scale
to 120. OK, so they're weaker than the newer tubes but nowhere near
spec. and I have no idea how good they are.

Looks like I need to get it calibrated. Can anyone suggest someone
within driving distance from SE Connecticut that would be good for me
to contact to get this done? I really don't have that many tubes I'll
need to check but like today, I would like a working quality tester.
And for what it's worth, I do have a handful of 40's & 50's radios to
get working.

Thanks & 73,

Gary
KA1J