[Amps] Need for bias switch (CW/SSB)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Need for bias switch (CW/SSB)
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 08:17:55 -0800
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 11:26:42 -0500
From: RCM <robrk@nidhog.net>
To: amps@contesting.com
Cc: Charlie <charlie@drhabekost.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need for bias switch (CW/SSB)

Back then, you keyed the cutoff bias of the amp.

My Central Electronics 20A had -100 vdc out the back that followed the
keying and did a full cutoff
of the HB 4X250's with operating bias set for class C.

No clicks....

##  when I mentioned not to run  class B  or  class C,  or key clicks will
occur,
this  was in reference to a GG  triode amp   ( cathode driven).

##  Im not talking about  DX-100s,   CE 20A, or any other type of  TX  or xcvr,
nor  grid driven KW tetrode amps.

##  10-40 ma of idle current is fine on any  GG triode for cw use.  Drop too
low, like
0-5 ma..and u will hear clix.   Class C wont work.

##  If idle is 0 ma,  you cant tell whether u are in class B,  class C, or deep
class C.

Jim   VE7RF