Re: [Amps] Shunt resistors for a bridge made of 6A10 diodes in Alpha 91b

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shunt resistors for a bridge made of 6A10 diodes in Alpha 91b
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 11:22:09 +0800
Thanks Garry – that is brilliant!

From: TexasRF@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 5:58 AM
To: vk6vz@arach.net.au ; amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shunt resistors for a bridge made of 6A10 diodes in Alpha
91b

These avalanche diodes require no shunt resistors or capacitors. Could not be
easier than that!

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/28/2016 3:12:10 P.M. Central Standard Time,
vk6vz@arach.net.au writes:
  G’day

  I am refurbishing the power supply board in my Alpha 91b and am going to
replace the KD202P diodes which make up the bridge with 6A10 diodes (1000V 6A
and only A$1.95 each).

  The original bridge had strings of five KD202P a side, with shunt resistors
across each diode of 500K 1W. The stud mounted diodes are looking pretty burnt
around the retaining washers/bolts, so it is definitely time (and I have a
strange earth leakage fault).

  Please, I’d really appreciate some advice about what value of shunt resistor
to use on each of the twenty 6A10 that will make up the bridge?

  PS The replacement encapsulated bridge rectifier sold by Alpha/RKR designs
(5kV, 2A) is US$150, so this the reason for looking for a cheaper solution.

  Vy 73

  Steve, VK6VZ

  ---

---