[Amps] Control transformers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Control transformers
From: Jeff Pederson via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:41:09 +0000 (UTC)
   Good day,
    I have learned alot from this list over the years. What I propose to try
may work or it wont. Im thinking it wont work but it dont hurt to ask. From
time to time I come across 1kva,2kva,3kva control transformers. 0 -120v on one
side and 0 -240,480,575,600 volts on the other. If I was to series two of the
600 volt windings then feed a fullwave doubler, would this work or not? I would
also like to series the 120v side feed it 240v. For there intended purpose I
think with control transformers, the higher voltage winding serves as the
primary and the secondary is the 120v winding. Not sure how robust machine
control transformers are.or if there is enough insulation between primary and
secondary. Im sure current capacity would drop if I step up the voltage.

Jeff

KD4LYH