Re: [Amps] warm up time for TX tubes

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] warm up time for TX tubes
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:38:55 -0400
   John K4DLX Flood wrote:

> Hope someone can help me understand tube warm up requirements.

  Slightly complex subject.

Specifically, What are the necessary conditions for voltages at plate ,
screen and control grid during Warm up for indirectly heated tetrode tubes.

I have seen directions that say no plate voltage during warm up, but some
amps (MLA2500) apply plate voltage and limit cathode current to a few mA by
self-bias during warm up.

  Usually a few mA of plate current is such little power than the
heater, I don't get the point.

What I have in mind for my amp with gu74b  (4cx800) is to apply fil voltage
for 3 minutes while screen is at 0v, plate is full on and
G1 is biased to cutoff (approx. -75v).

  Having plate Voltage without plate current seems to be a do nothing
to me.  (changing the electrostatic fields does not do much)

  Two things occur when we warm up a tube.  1, We elevate the emissive
surface of the cathode/s to an efficient emissive temperature plus
that heats the "getter disks" (or washers) spot welded above the pins
if any, 2, we also bring the envelope and tube pins (and their seals)
up closer to the final operating temperature.  (to minimize metal to
glass or ceramic seals cracking, admitting air)

  The nature of the emissive surface is one controlling factor.
  Some tubes need no preheating, plate Voltage can be applied all of
the time (or applied simultaneously) and they make power as soon as the
directly heated cathode starts emitting.  (4-500 and a 6146 replacement)
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.