Re: [Amps] Harbach capacitors for SB220

To: "Dick NY1E" <dick@ny1e.com>, "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Harbach capacitors for SB220
From: "Paul Kraemer" <elespe@lisco.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:03:44 -0500
Dick
I can answer that one!
The more expensive one is Jeff's original with the screw terminal caps and they are close to the original HK capacitance value. Also VERY expensive caps not easily obtained in small quantities. I saw a different way to go and made up a board to utilize the snap in 330mfd high temp long life caps and chose the same diameter as the original HK caps so the nylon block was re used with the new kit.
Jeff liked my approach and offers it on his Harbach website.
I have used my approach on a couple of SB-220 rebuilds and like the extra capacitance over the original HK design which was probably limited to components available at that time. I also install the Jeff's diode board for the SB-220 and consider it a must do.
So, you have a choice!
Paul K0UYA
Electronic Specialties

-----Original Message----- From: Dick NY1E