Re: [Amps] Oldie but Goodie MLA2500 questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>, "charlie carroll" <k1xx@k1xx.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oldie but Goodie MLA2500 questions
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 20:57:55 -0400
Since the resonances change when in circut it should still cover WARC's; I have no problem with my MLA 2500 backup amp. Nor the Clipperton L and DTR-2000L here that use the same choke with 3-4 turns removed and mostly used on AM including WARC.

I also use a pair of 2200pf 6KV discs as the choke bypass; makes a noticable improvement on 160 (along with other changes) plus Dentrons are notorious for blowing filter caps, likely from some RF getting into them.

Carl
KM1H

When I first looked at the choke, the winding seemed to have slid down
the core and somewhat bunched up at the bottom.  There also appeared to
be some discoloration over the winding.  I eventually pulled the choke
and took a closer look.  No breaks in the wire and no burn marks.  There
is some discoloration, but maybe that's more perception on my part.  The
best I recall, the amp worked fine during the 2007 contest trip to Dominica.

There is some slight bunching of a couple turns at the bottom of the
choke, right above the circular insulator.  My best guess is this is an
artifact of the original manufacturing.  Yesterday I received a private
e-mail with some data on the choke.  Based on that info, it looks like
the person that did the original 3CX800 conversion also removed some
turns from the top of the choke.  Again, best guess, 4-6 turns.  The
discoloration, the removed turns, plus the bunched turns at the bottom,
contributed to my "worn" conclusion.

FWIW, after I removed the choke, I measured it on my network analyzer.
I did find two resonances, 18.3 and 25.7 MHz.  Good enough for non-WARC
operation.

BTW, the individual that did the conversion also replaced the single
500pF plate bypass disc cap with a 1000pF doorknob.  I'm going to try to
shoehorn in a couple of additional disc caps of different values.

73 charlie, k1xx