Re: [Amps] SCR to adjust 240v to 200v

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SCR to adjust 240v to 200v
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:21:48 -0700
On Sat,8/13/2016 8:11 AM, Jim Durham wrote:
I am using a Variac, which does the same thing and also allows me to adjust the input AC voltage.

What it does that is the same is that it adjusts the primary voltage. But it is VERY different from a boost/buck transformer, because it must be rated for the full VA of the load.

A boost/buck transformer requires that the primary be rated for the line voltage, but a much smaller current. Only the secondary must be rated for the full load current. The result is that a good boost/buck transformer is a much smaller and lower cost solution. All of them that I have seen are multi-tapped and are clearly marked with voltage and current ratings and their turns ratios, so it's almost trivially easy to choose one and hook it up.

73, Jim K9YC