[Amps] LDMOS HEAT SPREADERS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] LDMOS HEAT SPREADERS
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 01:44:52 -0600
I wonder if a high power transistor could mount on a chill block sold for puck type very high power devices. For instance,

http://catalog.chtechnology.com/viewitems/extruded-bonded-fin-heat-sinks/liquid-chill-block?&plpver=10&forward=1

Of course, getting the RF into and out off the device with this cooler in the way is tricky.
John
K5PRO

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 07:44:16 +0100
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>

With water cooling, why not sit the transistor over a pocket and
run the coolant directly against the flange? That's a method I saw
in production test at the Philips (as it was) factory.

NEC had an ill fated TV broadcast tx which cooled the transistors
with compressed air blown directly onto the flange. In terms of
cooling I was told it worked just fine, the problem came when the
nozzles blocked with dust.

Steve