Re: [Amps] FW: Acom 2000A - typical output power?

To: Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: Acom 2000A - typical output power?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 20:02:04 -0700
On Sat,9/17/2016 5:35 PM, Mark Bitterlich wrote:

And if I may, I've always had tremendous respect for FCC rules and regulations, but that said, comparing a gent who has Rhombics facing each cardinal direction fed with 1500 watts, compared to some poor soul with a dipole running his home brew pair of 4-1000's or even a 3CX10000..... No, it is not legal... but when trying to bust the pile-up, I get it. Just sayin.

The FCC Rules say "Output Power", NOT ERP (except on 60M). How can you say you have "tremendous respect for FCC rules" and then say you run illegal power when you think you need to? :) The Rules encourage us to build better antennas. And how many "gents" do you know with ANY Rhombic, let alone Rhombics in multiple directions? Even one Rhombic takes a lot of real estate! IMO, this sort of thing is mostly urban legend and rumor -- the "oft-repeated lie" that is taken as truth. Or maybe I've led a sheltered life.

I've worked a fair number of DXpeditions with 5W, some of them pretty rare. My highest gain antenna is the smallest 3-el SteppIR. I also run legal limit in contests where I'm seriously competing. :)

73, Jim K9YC