Re: [Amps] Amplifier output power delivery ....

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplifier output power delivery ....
From: Kevin <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 20:51:02 -0500
The 87A uses 3CX800A7 triodes.

It's my opinion that the Tl-922 suffers from an inferior power supply design. The 87A is vulnerable to PIN Diode burn out and the 3CX800A triodes can't stand any mistuning mistakes. A pair of 3-500ZG's will take 100 Watts of drive and about 3500V dc on the plates to hit the US legal limit. An un- modified TL922 won't do that. The 87A will do it with 50 Watts or less of drive but you better watch the grid current.

You can replace a pair of 3-500ZG's three times for the cost of one 3CX800A7.