Re: [Amps] Buzzing Transformer Follow-up Questions

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buzzing Transformer Follow-up Questions
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 04:01:48 +0000

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 14:40:01 -0400, Carol wrote:

>Since the original transformer is totally operational ( voltages and
>current) except for the buzzing sound, (probaly due to a lamination
>problem), what do I do next?
>Do I replace the transformer? Do I get it rewound?

REPLY:

I used to make transformers for the avionics industry and it sounds
like your transformer was not impregnated with varnish completely.

The best way to make them in the first place is to place the
transformer in a vacuum chamber. pull a very high vacuum, flood it
with varnish and repressurize. That drives the varnish deep inside the
transformer and greatly reduces buzzing. Also improves heat transfer.

That's not something you can do at home, but you might try contacting
the manufacturer and see if they can do it for you. Beats buying a new
one.

73, Bill W6WRT