Re: [Amps] TL-922(A) Recent Acquisition

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922(A) Recent Acquisition
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 23:25:27 +1300
On 25/10/16 15:28, Jeff Breitner <lists@rudn.com> wrote:
I'd like to get some opinions/thoughts on bringing back into operation a
TL-922a that I recently acquired.  The unit sat for at least 15 years in an
attic.   I don't think it has many hours on it. Which  of course may mean,
it is broken.

Switch to CW and fire it up. If you were really worried about it - then start it up on the variac at 75% input volts, and bring it up to full mains input over an hour or so.

If you were really worried about a fault, then switch the amp on first - then switch on at the wall plate. That might save you sourcing a new switch for it.

Leave it idling there for a day, then ground the PTT input for just a second and see if you have any idle IP. If so, I'd just use it for an evening with about 25 watts drive. If it worked fine for a couple hours with no cranky stuff, then I'd switch mode to SSB and tune it up at maximum drive and just use it.

If the panel meters are still lit then it hasn't had any work at all.

There is only one mandatory mod, and that is remove the bottom panel and swap it end-for-end, so the holes are under the tube sockets. If you don't do this, the solder will melt in the tube pins and drop out - after this mod there were no issues. Two screws wont fit the panel now - I just left them out.

Steve