Re: [Amps] Single Supply, multiple Amps switching

To: "'N7EME'" <n7eme@cableone.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Single Supply, multiple Amps switching
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 05:36:07 -0700
Hi Jerry,
Using a single HV power supply with multiple amplifiers is a bit more
difficult than one might at first imagine. Modern amplifier design routes
the B- return separately from chassis ground, and avoiding interactions
among the metering for the amps can be tricky.  There are also potential
safety issues with routing HV simultaneously to different amplifiers,
especially if an amp chassis becomes ungrounded. Cathode bypass caps also
have to be rated for the full HV, if the return path to B- is left open.
Tetrode amps are a bit more problematic than triode amps.

A few years ago I designed two HV power supplies intended to be used with
three amps each. One power supply provides about 2600V (for 3cx800s) and the
other about 4400V (for 8877s). I used HV vacuum relays to switch the HV
between amps, and PCB-mount relays to switch the low voltages. A logic
interlock prevents two amps from being on-line simultaneously. The design is
published in QEX, but I'll email you a copy separately.  The power supplies
work very well, but the design may be a bit more complicated than you're
looking for.
73,
Jim W8ZR

PTT line for that tube in
> enabled. Resting current is adjusted for 100ma of Plate current when idle.
This much works
> great right now with the single 6 meter amp.
>
> My question is, can I apply Plate voltage along with just the Filaments
and Blowers on a
> tube, and have the Cathode and Grid metering open, and not cause any
damage?

> I believe I can because there is no current path for Cathode current or
Grid current for the