Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>, Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 16:06:06 +0000 (UTC)
Bill,

   I'm just repeating what I've seen stated by physicists over decades.  I've
never seen any hint that gravity waves can travel faster than light.

   Mainstream theory is that all forces are carried by virtual exchange
particles. Gravity is carried by gravitons, which have not been directly
detected, but are believed to have well-defined physical properties such as
zero rest-mass and spin of +2 or -2.  Not all virtual exchange particles are
massless, but those with mass cannot exist in a virtual state for very long, so
they can only mediate short-range forces.  For example, the pi-meson or pion
has a mass of approximately 270 times the electron mass, and it mediates the
strong nuclear force.  Long-range forces such as gravity and electromagnetism
are mediated by zero mass particles.

   All particles with zero rest-mass travel at the speed of light at all times
in all reference frames.  So gravity waves, which are carried by gravitons,
travel at the speed of light.

   If it turns out that gravity propagates faster than light, it would upset
all known physical theories.  Not impossible, perhaps, but not predicted by any
living physicist and would be revolutionary Nobel Prize material if proved true.

Disclaimer:  my formal background is in engineering, not physics.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR