[Amps] More thots on ham amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] More thots on ham amps
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 19:16:53 -0800
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 20:58:36 +0000
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] More thots on ham amps

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016 05:53:26 -0800, VE7RF wrote:

>.  For the same $ outlay, you could buy 3 x AL-1500s, then tune em up on
>different bands, like 160-80-40 for night time use, and 20-15-10  etc for day
>time use, or perhaps  40-20-15.

REPLY:

Or for a little more than half that you could get an Alpha 9500 which
can change bands and re-tune in the blink of an eye, literally. And
not just three bands, all of them from 160-10.

Or find a good used one, recent production and save even more.

And you can spend the leftover money on antennas.

Seems like a better deal to me.

73, Bill W6WRT

## Points well taken.  Maybe its just me, but I have problems wrapping my head
around
spending $7995.00   ( $10,313.55  in cdn dollars)...on any amplifier, that
comes with a 35 lb plate xfmr and uses air variables
for the tune + load.  I have never been in that much of a rush to change bands.

## The manual tune alpha 8410 at $5895.00  with its  pair of  4CX-1500Bs  looks
like a winner.  A local friend bought one, I have
not seen it..yet.

## 3.5 KVA  CCS  hypersil that only weighs 35 lbs  sets a new standard for
weight to KVA ratio.   Hats off to em, who ever designed the
plate xfmr.

Jim  VE7RF