Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 vs. Acom 2000A questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 vs. Acom 2000A questions
From: "Val" <val@vip.bg>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 13:38:33 +0200
Dick,

As you know, I am biased. I have to admit also that I have never touched Alpha 9500. My comments are based on its Manual only.

You are right, the optional fan have to be installed on ACOM 2000A if going to be used for serious RTTY contesting or other continuous modes transmissions longer than 15 minutes. The external fan price and noise are saved to the CW/SSB and casual RTTY users.

The internal fuses are not uncommon. Most of the ham gear, PC hardware and house appliances have fuses installed in the cabinet that are not supposed to be replaced by the customer. ACOM 2000A main fuses are located on the rear panel. The internal fuses protect the HV transformer Step Start circuit, the Measuring transformer and the LV transformer. It is supposed that if any of those fuses has been blown, there is a failure that anyway will reqiure top cover removing.

ACOM 2000A has no LEDs, but the TFT display brightness can be reduced as much as you want. Furthermore, ACOM 2000A great advantage is the control via a Remote Control Unit only. The RCU is small enough to be placed where will not irritate your eyes. In the same time the amplifier can be placed everywhere in the shack or in another room, basement, attic.

As regards the auto-tune, I do not know how the Alpha does this, but it seems the choosen way is not quite effective. The manual says that auto-tune will work only if SWR is below 2:1. By the way, the same is stated in OM Power's manual. ACOM 2000A limit is way, way too high. I even don't know what is the limit, but had seen how tunes perfectly to a wrong antenna (20m beam on 80 meters) showing SWR more than 10:1. Whether this is usabel is another question, this only shows the amplifier tuning capabilities.

The Alpha manual says "For SWR more than 2:1, full power (1500W) may not be possible", while ACOM 2000A specification guarantees 1500W at SWR up to 3:1 (2:1 on 160m only). Actually this shows what are the parts used in the output tank. Obviously the Alpha parts are rated for less RF voltage and/or current.

73, Val LZ1VB

Hi Guys,

I plan to purchase a tube-type Auto-tune amp and am most interested in an Alpha 9500 or an Acom 2000A. I'd prefer solid-state, but I want a 1.5kw continuous duty rating at a reasonable price so that rules out solid-state
amps for the time being.  ($10,500 is too  expensive)

I have several questions before making the decision and your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Before I proceed with the questions, I'd like
to share that I'm a serious CW & RTTY contester and am  looking for
reliability and stability at 1.5kw output all weekend long. Also, if I purchase the
Acom 2000A I'll be sure to add the Optional Fan as  I've heard they
overheat on heavy RTTY usage without one.

Here's my questions:

1) Several hams report the 9500 isn't always reliable at selecting the
correct antenna during band changes.  Has that  issue been resolved?

2) 2000A, when the transformer is removed, there are 3 small fuses located on the center wall and near the bottom chassis. Two of them are 2-amp fuses and the other is a 100 ma. fuse. Those fuses will be impossible to see, test, or replace without removing the top cover and transformer. (major time killer to remove the transformer during a contest) Have you ever had
any of those 3  fuses blow?

3) Will both amps hold up about the same with heavy use and in a salt air
environment?

4) Both manuals say the "brightness of the LED displays can be turned down". I have extreme eye sensitivity to bright flashing lights, can the LED display level be turned way down so the lights are barely visable on both
amps?

5) Which amp is easier to get serviced these days? Are repair costs about
the same?

6) Are the auto-tune features on  these amps reliable?

If you prefer, you can send your comments to me off-list at:
_K9OM@arrl.net_ (mailto:K9OM@arrl.net)

Thank You & 73,

Dick- K9OM