Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 vs. Acom 2000A questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 9500 vs. Acom 2000A questions
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 10:07:28 -0500
> ### What exactly did you have to repair on the 9500 / Acom 2000A?  Jim
VE6RF

Alpha 9500 repair:

http://lists.contesting.com/_amps/2015-09/msg00039.html

I understand that late-production 9500 amps have a fuse in the 40V supply
bus to help protect the components mentioned.  I do not know when the
production cut-in occurred.

ACOM 2000A Repair:

Two issues: (1) over time, filament current cooked a Nylon Molex connector
between the PS and RF deck; and (2) the bias circuit failed, requiring
replacement of a switching transistor.  My ACOM 2000A was manufactured in
late 1998 and was the first unit shipped to the U.S. from FinnFet in early
1999.   Since then, ACOM has corrected both issues in production through
better components and design.

Paul, W9AC