[Amps] Experimenting

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Experimenting
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 06:59:41 -0800
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 04:09:08 -0800
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
To: Leigh Turner <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>, 'AMPS'
<amps@contesting.com>
Cc: "leigh.turner@ieee.org" <leigh.turner@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Experimenting

There are plenty of ham experimenters left today, but they are typically
focusing on SDR, QRP, digital software, etc. That's where most of the interest
and skills lie.

When experimenting requires machining and sheet metal skills instead of design,
soldering, and programming skills, yes, in 2016 that's a niche interest.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR

## 85-90 % of the work involved in HB  tube amps is metal work. I have 2 x
complete sets of green lee punches + the mating 11 ton
hydraulic ram.  Then toss in 2 x modified drill presses...so you can slide in a
19-24 inch wide al panel.   Then the 12 inch disc grinder +
shop vac on the grinder, 3 x work benches,  dozens and dozens of bin boxes, and
12 foot long x 7 ft tall x  18 inch deep industrial
shelving..all full of new + used amp parts, it all adds up.   Then the other
stuff  like roper whitney   7 ton bench mount unit with the
25 inch long arm, to punch small  holes in al etc. Then the hand held roper
whitney punch.   I can punch 20 holes faster than drilling just one.
Then the usual myriad of hand tools used for metal work applications  + small
air compressor, battery operated screw drivers.   Even with all of that
I still get the various al panels sheared, or cut at the local metal shop.
Then its all connected together with angle al.  Bins and bins of SS hardware,
from 2-56, 4-40 and on up to 1/4-20 and 1/4-28.   Then a fair amount of the
usual  test gear, 2 x lcr meters, dvms, scopes, dummy loads, watt meters etc.
Then stuff it all into a rack.

##  Buying parts is easier now than pre internet days.   Do you save any
time.... no.  Do you save any money....probably not.  Will it even work
when completed..maybe, or mixed results.   Use too small of a box, and its too
much of a tight squeeze..and bad news if larger components have to
be retrofitted into place.   I have had a few projects where I had to start
again from scratch.   Flip side is you soon learn that its just as easy to
build a
big amp as a small one.

##  its a good learning experience though.   A labour of love....or a love of
labour.

Jim  VE7RF