Re: [Amps] L7 problems

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] L7 problems
From: "Paul Kraemer" <elespe@lisco.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 20:10:42 -0600
Jim
Good to hear from you.  I was hoping you would have comments.

I had already made the change on the keying going to a 100K 5w and series string of 1N5408 in ct for bias. The relay shorts the resistor. Just like my ES4L4B kit includes with the soft start and soft key. I also don't like putting the 120v on the ct and running zero bias on keyed.

I had also done the diodes HV- to gnd and the one across the grid meter.

Of course I made sure along the way the changes didn't make any difference to the problem

Interlock was checked first off and has a stiff bit of pvc cable jacket in there to keep it defeated while I work on it.

Feel like only thing left in the equation is something is wrong with that transformer. I have some lv high amp industrial transformers that with a little adjust from a variac I can run at least one tube on the bench and I'll disconnect primary and secondary of the Drake transformer. Don't need the relay power just to test so that should say yay or nay and I can send the transformer to Heyboer for rewind if it shows that IS the culprit. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Any notes or history would be appreciated

Paul K0UYA

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Thomson