[Amps] TL922 efficiency

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] TL922 efficiency
From: Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 20:50:04 +0200
I suspect my measurements are incorrect, and possibly someone with another TL922 can give me a sanity check.
On 40 meters, I am measuring the following into a dummy load:

Output: 1200 watts (several reliable wattmeters agree).
Drive: 65 watts.
Grid current: 200 ma.
Plate current: 580 ma.
Plate voltage 2600 V under load (3 kV no load).
Zero signal plate current: 140 ma.

This represents an input power of 1508 watts. If I assume that 60 watts of the output is fed through from the input, then 1140/1508 = 0.76, or 76% efficiency. I find this hard to believe. I am wondering whether the plate current or voltage measurement is wrong.

My amp has the grids directly grounded, if that means anything.

What do others see from TL922's?

Vic, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO