Re: [Amps] Hams building and repairing things

To: Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@gmail.com>, chris@chrishays.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hams building and repairing things
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 20:29:19 -0500
Much of Ham radio "building and repairing" has long involved a
MacGuyver-like modding and cobbling of surplus together rather
than the laborious process of building from scatch.

I've had more success cobbling together antennas, computers,
and Ham accessories (including for packet) than receivers or
transmitters (minor mods and repairs but nothing serious).

I recall running out of money as a kid because just getting the
local sheet metal shop to make me the project box, to the specs
in the magazine article, gutted my hobby fund.

I once tried gathering the parts for an 8877 amp (I had an elmer
available to help) but as the project progressed the costs bloated
far beyond the budget - so I sold what I'd gathered and bought a
very used commercially made amp.

I remember Evan's Radio in Concord, NH. They had a large electrical
supply house but at one end they also had a little Ham store - with
lots of consignment radios - it was a magical place for a 14yr old.

I remember Fair Radio Sales (still around and still too expensive),
JJ Meshna (sp?), PolyPaks, Knight Kits, Heathkit, etc. Times change.

Before China it was Japan, before Japan it was bigger store chains
pushing out smaller independents, the marketplace drives the change.

Sears started as a catalog store because that was most efficient,
and many local shops hated them for it, then they built huge stores,
now they're closing stores because the Internet is cheaper ... kind
of a circle for them.

Trump bought glass and many of his name-branded clothing items from
China cheap to make more profit, his kids want the same opportunity,
so don't expect much change there - despite the bluster.

These days it seems fun to operate both a SoftRock RxTx SDR rig and
an old school all-tube Rx and Tx. I still have my flexible "fingers"
to pull tubes ... especially when they're still hot.

Let's just have fun! It is, after all, a hobby.

IMHO, YMMV ... 73, David KD4E

Same thing that has happened to LOTS of brick and mortar stores. Gone
out of business and/or cant compete with the internet and China on EBay.

Remember in the 80's and 90s when Computer Shopper catalog/magazine was
1.5 + inches thick??

I'm as guilty as the next guy... I buy stuff on EBay from China.

We'll see how buying cheap stuff from China holds under the Trump
Administration.

73
Jim W7RY