[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL
From: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:04:02 -0600
I'm in the planning stages of a solid state amp. I am considering water cooling... looking for pointers on design ideas, parts suggestions, etc.

73, John NI0K

Roger (K8RI) <mailto:k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:02 PM
Years past, I worked on many water cooled tube type amplifiers/oscillators. Compared to those, water cooling a SS amp is outlandishly simple. Route the Cu water tube through a milled slot in the heat spreader. The most complicated part is how well you want to monitor the water flow and temp. Typically a restrictor is placed in the input line and the pressure is measured on both sides of the restrictor. Due to the heat spreader being at chassis ground, heat sensord can be directly attached to the spreader plate.

This has the advantage that a finned cooler can be added, so if the water flow stops, the amp can still be fan cooled

73, Roger (K8RI)