Re: [Amps] Checking Filament Voltage

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Checking Filament Voltage
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 12:48:37 +1300
On 20/02/17 06:00, Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...] Is it permissible to run the tube with only filament voltage and no air
for a short period? If so, what is a short period?

The filament current draw and corresponding terminal voltage will vary according to filament temperature anyway, so if you do run it for a short time, then at full temperature it will be different again.

When I wound my GS-35b filament transformer I added taps in the secondary for soft start (also used a standby/quickstart, and also filament low/operate/high/highest. I don't know that there was any need to make it more finely adjustable than that.

A PWM arduino controller would be interesting (and probably unreliable), but my old TL-922 has been given a solid workout over the years and it's meter lamps vastly out-lived the tube filaments.

Steve