[Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:37:31 -0700
Continuing this thread, we used deionized/deoxygenated water for our RF power tubes at the accelerator plant. I designed the anode cooling tubing to have no more than 500 uA of leakage current per hose, based on old RCA and Eimac application notes. This is at 23 kV DC plate voltage. The resistivity always stays above 2 Megohm-cm for this. We have Culligan bottles that are always bypassing a fraction of the 900 GPM that cools the four transmitters, all of the tubes.

On the other hand, we use long water column dummy loads (no resistors inside) that are about 5 wavelengths long at 200 MHz. They need some conductivity, so we use the same deionized water, then dope it with about 0.5% of a particular corrosion inhibitor that has a molybdate salt. This yields a DC conductivity (1/resistivity) of about 490 uS/cm. With this there is a 20 dB return loss in the load. It is tuned with the concentration of solute.

Both the ultra pure deionized system and the ionized doped system are closed loop with pumps and a heat exchanger, that has cooling tower water on the other side.

We have some air cooling for things like filament stem under tubes, and heat sinks/resistors in various power supplies, but the majority is water cooled 24/7.
73
John
K5PRO

FYI:  I'm afraid I have to disagree on the statement below about
distilled water being conductive.

In industrial experiments in the use of distilled water,  I found it to
be very non-conductive.  If I recall correctly, it has a measured
conductivity of 50 to maybe 100 micro-Siemens per centimeter squared.
That's not much.  Pure water becomes conductive only if it becomes
contaminated with salt like contaminates.  For a comparison, seawater
typically measures in the thousands of micro-Siemens per centimeter
squared, because of the high salt content.

While working on a clients project to do so, I spent many hours
attempting to inject RF into water of various solutions.  It was very
difficult in the lab trying to get RF to propagate thru pure water.
Other more contaminated solutions not so much..
73,
Ray, W4BYG