Re: [Amps] Shipping Costs

To: <amps@contesting.com>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Costs
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 14:03:58 +0000 (UTC)
Many years ago, I sold a pair of Drake twins, T4B/R4B.  They were not mine, but
were loaned to me to use with the understanding that when I was ready to move
on, I would sell them and send the money to the owner.

I initially advertised them as available for local pickup only precisely
because I
didn't want to deal with the risks and hassles of shipping.  Unfortunately, the
only
offer came from someone several states away.  I told him in email that I didn't
know how to pack a heavy tube rig for shipping.  He said to just take it to a
UPS store and they would know how to do it.

Well, they didn't.  They just dumped everything into one box with no peanuts,
and
it arrived damaged, broken tubes, dented case, etc. The seller was mad.  I
offered
to refund his money if he'd ship it back, but he ended up fixing it himself and
keeping it.

Don't ever trust UPS to pack your heavy amps and other tube gear.  Either
refuse to ship, learn to pack it yourself, or get a local ham you trust to help
you pack.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR