Re: [Amps] Alpha Switching Diodes

To: "'Jerry O. Stern'" <jsternmd@att.net>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "'Amps Amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha Switching Diodes
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 12:48:41 -0500
One of the known causes of TX pin diode failure is arcing of L1 on the TR
board. In older models, the rubber insulating pad under the coil
disintegrates over time, allowing exposed parts of the wire to arc to the
board and a nearby screw. The surge can damage one or both TX PIN diodes.

In my case, most of the evidence of arcing was hidden under the coil and I
didn't notice the carbon arcing on the nearby screw. I removed L1, cleaned
up  the board, replaced the pad with a more robust insulator, rewound the
choke and reinstalled it -- all without removing the TR board.

It's not hard to access L1 -- just unplug the amp, remove the top cover and
remove the cover to the TR compartment in the back of the amp. Well worth
some time to inspect L1 and the insulating pad.

73, Dick WC1M