Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

To: "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 19:50:53 +0930
I agree Jay and Joe; tube amps and replacement tubes will be around for
quite a while to come; longer than most of us old geezers on this amps
forum! They produce excellent bang for buck and operational robustness.

Solid-state QRO HF linear amps can be made to work very nicely particularly
when conservatively driven and backed-off paralleled modules operating well
clear of their 1 dB power compression points are combined and harmonic
terminating diplexer LPF's are used to yield stable performance and good IMD
specs. And this is achievable without resorting to esoteric pre-distortion
and linearity correction techniques.

I remain an ardent fan and user of both amplifier types...the best SS amps
are homebrew as the current batch of commercial ones have too many
short-cuts in their design; the principal Achilles heel is their thermal
aspects and device SOE under adverse load VSWR conditions.

Leigh
VK5KLT