Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation / novel concept

To: "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation / novel concept
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:34:26 +0930
Roger there on the comments below Jim.

For adventurous homebrewers here's an interesting article on an alternative
novel approach to SSB generation and its efficient switched-mode
amplification by K1LI and K1KP in the March/April 2017 QEX magazine, pages 3
to 9. It uses a modern digital implementation of novel modulation concepts
long ago proposed by Leonard Kahn.

Whilst I like the polar IQ modulation and efficient switching RF amplifier
architecture and its novelty I must admit I'm a bit old school when it comes
to SSB generation and its associated low efficiency linear amplification...I
also don't mind having a lot of "big iron" to crank out legal limit PEP and
above for copious headroom.

Unlike radio broadcasters, for the modest amount of time an amateur station
is on-air, efficiency and the electricity consumption/conservation is not
such a serious driver...

Leigh
VK5KLT